Informational brochures for dealing with mental health issues.
- Ask a Therapist – This flyer gives you important questions to ask counselors when you seek counseling and don’t have access to WELS counselors.
- Christian or Non-Christian Counselor – This flyer outlines potential concerns when a counselor is not a Christian, or is a Christian but not of your faith.
- Mental Health Issues – This flyer will guide you when you believe you might need counseling for mental health issues.
- Therapy Models – This pamphlet helps you sort out psychological terms and distinguish between different counseling processes.
- When to Refer – This flyer is written to help pastors determine when a member is in need of other forms of counseling in addition to the spiritual counseling he offers.
The WELS/ELS Christian Therapists Network provides a network for professionally-trained therapists in fellowship with the WELS or ELS to enhance the delivery of Bible-based, Christ-centered therapy. It is a referral source for WELS/ELS congregations and called workers, and the Network helps Christians find professionally-trained, Christian therapists in their area.
Another resource for WELS called workers and their families, and for members of WELS churches, is Christ-centered counseling through WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions. WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions provides an array of counseling services including outpatient, intensive outpatient, day treatment programs, and psychiatry. Their services are available in person or through a secure video connection (telehealth) in some states. Their Member Assistance Program (MAP) is also available for congregations and schools that wish to cover the costs of counseling services for their members. Other program services include online support groups and support group facilitation.
Responding to the Spiritual Impact of Child Abuse- Freedom for the Captives is a WELS Special Ministries taskforce that provides resources for survivors of child sexual abuse, and for churches and their leaders who desire to minister faithfully when cases of such abuse become known. A wide variety of resources can be found on the Freedom for the Captives website, freedomforcaptives.com. Responding to the Spiritual Impact of Child Abuse makes clear the need for such resources. It can be printed out for presentations or sharing with individuals to make them aware of the need for Christians to respond in a godly manner, and to introduce them to the website. Free online abuse prevention training, called “Standing Up for Children,” is now available at welscongregationalservices.net/abuse-prevention/
Conquerors through Christ- Conquerors through Christ (CtC) is a WELS Special Ministries taskforce to help Christians deal with the temptations and devastation caused by Internet pornography. A wide variety of resources and videos can be found on the CtC website, conquerorsthroughchrist.net. This brochure can be printed to share with groups or to help someone find the resources and support they need to deal with this problem.